Linux Antivirus Programs: The most widely used and effective open-source operating system, Linux, powers a range of smart devices, including desktop computers, supercomputers, smart devices, vehicles, televisions, and more. In actuality, Linux is the operating system that runs Android. Despite being made to be the most efficient and secure OS in the league (having Windows, Mac OS X, iOS, etc.), it cannot provide 100 percent protection from external threats like viruses, trojans, or malware. What then is the answer?
Antivirus software for Linux
The information in this article will be extremely helpful if you use the Linux operating system since it will help you secure your system from various external cyber threats. There are Linux antiviruses that assist in detecting and removing threats before they infiltrate the OS’s foundation and detect their mission to remove problems like viruses, malware, and trojans. Only the top Linux antivirus programs that can keep your system safe are listed in this post.
Top 12 Linux Viruses
Although many options are available for Linux antivirus software, the AV test lab, a security and antivirus researcher, recently published a list of the top 10 Linux antivirus programs that have been tried and tested. Additionally, pay close attention to this list.
Use the Best Linux Antivirus Software to protect the System Safe.
There won’t be a shortage of antivirus software on the market, without a doubt. However, there is no assurance that they will all perform effectively. Recently, an independent IT security organization, AV-Test, took over the test to ensure a legitimate list of the top 15 best antivirus programs for Linux.
We made an effort to include succinct details with each option so you could easily pick one. So let’s take a closer look at them.
One of the best antivirus programs for Linux is Sophos, so let’s start there. It offers a real-time scanning feature while also supporting on-demand scanning. This safeguarding Linux antivirus guards against Linux-based malware and functions flawlessly on all other platforms, including Windows and Android.
It also finds worms and trojans and assists in removing them from the repository. For those who are a little bit techie, Sophos offers terminal coding capabilities to make things simpler.
- It is a free Linux antivirus that runs on the terminal.
- To protect the system, Sophos Antivirus can quickly detect and remove threats.
- Indeed, it has cutting-edge AI that can detect attacks that have never been seen before.
- Additionally, it is incredibly lightweight, has an easy user interface, and is quite simple to install.
- It initially offers cross-platform support and lets you block and remove un Linux threats.
For Linux, Comodo Antivirus is generally renowned for being incredibly defensive. This antivirus’s support for distinctive architecture and cross-platform capability are its best features. Additionally, it supports an additional anti-virus protection system and an email scanning capability that is not found in other apps. Additionally, Comodo supports both 32-bit and 64-bit architecture for its firewall capability. Since Comodo Antivirus for Linux likewise supports all distros, many Linux users utilize it.
- This antivirus software provides real-time protection against all military-grade threats, which is free to use.
- On-demand scanning is supported, and there are no erroneous alerts.
- Comodo, which has anti-spam support, is able to quickly detect the influx of ransomware.
- Like Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server, OpenSUSE, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server, it works on the server-side.
- It also works on most platforms and supports server-side protection.
I have to suggest ClamAV as the best and most popular antivirus for Linux if you want to try it out. It is typically open source and cost-free to use. It is a capable antivirus that detects viruses, malware, and trojans.
Standard mail gateway scanning is supported by this preventive antivirus as well. Because it doesn’t have a native GUI and instead works through the terminal, it is simple to use and easy to run. Nevertheless unimpressed The next feature will undoubtedly advance you.
- There are no advertisements included with this open source, free antivirus.
- Cross-platform support is included, and there are no restrictions or payment information.
- Yes, it has POSIX compliant functionality and is simple to use from the terminal.
- Additionally, it supports for mailing services on-access scanning.
- Navigation is made easy by the utility command-line options.
- Official ClamAV
Another essential is the well-known antivirus for Linux called F-PROTF-Prot. Both residential and commercial use is possible for this specific Linux antivirus home. It initially supports software architectures of 32 and 64 bits.
Additionally, it scans more than 2119958 known viruses and their potential variants. This antivirus software also utilizes cron technology for scheduled scanning and is portable. It can detect a variety of infections, including trojans that boot up types.
- It is initially a portable, open source antivirus that is free and compatible for most platforms.
- More than 21 million threats and their variants can be found with F-PROT.
- Additionally, it functions with various software architectures.
- There are also drivers and internal drive scanning features available.
- Additional special options include trojan, macro, and boot sector virus scanning.
- Official of F-PROT
In all honesty, Chkrootkit is the best rootkit option available in a Linux system because you can tell from the name that it actually works on the root. In general, it is a portable and lightweight antivirus. It may be instantly burned on a USB or CD.
It has several programs and can find more than 60 both old and new kits. Additionally, it can quickly detect network interfaces operating in promiscuous mode. You should be aware that even in many apps that provide this function for free, the ability to detect updated lastlog and wtmp files is not always present.
- Chkrootkit can quickly detect practically all modern rootkits.
- This open source, lightweight utility tool is supported by a number of distros.
- Its powerful scan engine is essential for performing thorough kernel checks against the various supported kit detections.
- For best performance, this tool has access to the command line.
- Run it from the terminal as well.
- The creators of this Linux antivirus tool frequently update it.
- Chkrootkit Authentic
The second-best rootkit option is Rootkit Hunter. It utilizes backdoors and other local exploits to find all types of viruses, including trojans and operates on command. This specific software can be used on a variety of platforms and different distros. Instead of referring to this tool as a full-fledged antivirus, you could term it a dedicated layer of protection. However, it can shield your computer from specific viruses and malware.
- This free cybersecurity program is extremely lightweight and will never cause your software to lag.
- On a Linux system, you can easily use the command line to execute it.
- On rootkit-type protection, this tool has already made an excellent rating.
- SHA-1 comparison is supported to identify malicious entries.
- Initially, it scans the entire system for viruses using local exploits and the backdoor and looks for any strange activities.
- Genuine Rootkit Hunter
Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Linux
Endpoint Kaspersky One of the Kaspersky group’s members is Endpoint Security. Since Kaspersky is a name I’m sure you’re all familiar with, there’s no reason to have any doubts about this antivirus. It was created specifically for Linux to activate against any threats your system might encounter.
Automatically searching for all detachable drives will then request your consent to remove them before doing so. Additionally, this strong antivirus works admirably against all network threats. To protect the entire system, including the boot sector and the, it creates a robust security system with numerous layers of security.
- Real-time protection against malware and viruses is ensured.
- The integrated Behavior Detection function offers a proactive defence, which helps to identify and stop suspicious behavior patterns.
- It offers effective web threat protection with a 100% threat detection rate.
- This application also allows you to check the most recent threats and offers professional security advice.
- Additionally, it has an anti-crypto system that blocks encrypted files from sources where harmful programs are active.
- Official Kaspersky Endpoint Security
If you claim that you are unfamiliar with the moniker BitDefender, I won’t believe you. It is without a doubt the most widely used antivirus and security program across all platforms. BitDefender excelled in the community as a Linux antivirus software and has already attained enormous popularity.
But even for Linux users, this widely used antivirus is not free. You may therefore try it out with the trial version. But we can ensure that you’ll fall for it in no time.
- It scans archives and provides protection against spyware, phishing, viruses, ransomware, and zero-day attacks.
- Additionally, BitDefender supports desktop integration.
- In addition to supporting a command-line interface, the GUI is user-friendly.
- It will convert the quarantined files into a protected directory for added protection.
- Additionally, it controls all aspect of its operations from a single console and agent.
If you’re seeking the most basic Linux antivirus, I’ll offer REVE Antivirus as the next alternative. When Reve scans your system’s files, programs, and software, it doesn’t use extra system resources or time.
You can use it on different operating systems in addition to your Linux system, where it works flawlessly. To utilise this antivirus, you must ensure that your desktop computer has 2 GB of free memory and 5 GB of hard drive space. This antivirus, which made its debut in 20002, now receives routine upgrades.
- It guarantees data security and prevents unwanted data copying from PCs to USB drives.
- A built-in firewall in this powerful security program ensures protection from all external threats.
- A powerful duplicate file finder that is included with it will find and remove all duplicate files from your PC.
- Thanks to the extremely simple interface, you can find all the options at the tip of your finger.
- If you ensure a reliable internet connection, this antivirus for Linux will also update automatically.
- THE OFFICIAL REVE ANTIVIRUS
Dr.Web Security Space
If you’re seeking an all-in-one antivirus for Linux, Dr.Web Security Space must be a wonderful option. This application offers extremely dependable protection against all recognized and unrecognized harmful software. In order to control all accesses, this app does perform automatic scanning and scans all HTTP and mail traffic.
Additionally, it guarantees effective protection against threats launched under Linux peculiar to Windows. It should be noted that updating this antivirus requires a minimum of 512 MB of free storage space on the device and a working internet connection.
- This application’s remote scanning system is the best part.
- It is incredibly simple to control and offers many customization options.
- There are no particular device configuration requirements for this antivirus.
- This antivirus has never been known to freeze your device during a scan.
- This antivirus’s asynchronous scanning function, which lets you operate on any file type, is special.
- Official Dr.Web Security Space
One of the most frequent issues Linux users encounter is getting dangerous viruses and malware from several Linux servers. You can use Trend Micro to stop them in the most efficient way possible. This powerful antivirus guarantees protection against Linux file servers, web servers, and application servers.
Additionally, it guarantees highly thorough threat protection from all heterogeneous networks. Additionally, it actively attacks the kernel level and works with multi-threaded scanning. Let’s take a quick look at this antivirus’s features.
- This application automatically scans your system to identify and remove all viruses and malware.
- You may trust it because it was initially certified by Virus Bulletin (VB).
- This application’s scheduled scanning feature is extremely sophisticated and uses the most recent multi-threaded scanning engine to do so.
- With Trend Micro, you can customize your kernel variants because it has a license for the Kernel Hook Module (KHM).
- Here, there is also a more advanced spyware detection feature available.
- Licensed by Trend Micro
Linux-compatible ESET Endpoint Antivirus
Let’s learn about an antivirus system that has won awards and works flawlessly with Linux systems. This is ESET Endpoint Antivirus that I’m referring to. As a top-tier and widely used antivirus for a very long time, you must be familiar with the ESET group.
Its Endpoint version, intended for usage at the home, workplace, or business, has already made a notable impact thanks to its robust security feature. Well. Let’s find out what its best qualities are.
- One account can be used for many devices.
- Thanks to it, your home and office network will be protected from hackers and viruses.
- To lower the chance of a virus attack, ESET Endpoint antivirus will block all sources of destructive data.
- This antivirus’s best part makes sure that transactions are secure.
- It does include a quick auto-scanning feature and powerful malware detection.
- Official ESET Endpoint Antivirus
IMUNIFY360 is a well-liked antivirus program that is also reasonably priced for Linux. If you are unfamiliar with this security system, you can test it out for a few days with the free trial license. It is regarded as one of the best security systems on the market and is noted for consuming very little system.
The standard features, such as malware protection, webspam detection, and website security, are up to par. This is a comprehensive solution that offers both people and organizations a secure computing environment.
- It automatically protects your websites and Linux-based web servers from attacks and vulnerabilities.
- The specialized customer care center will assist you around-the-clock.
- The widely used Linux operating systems, including Ubuntu, Alma Linux, and others, are all compatible with IMUNIFY360.
- There are no complications or extraneous materials throughout the installation process.
- Advanced features including real-time physical and virtual patching are included.
- This antivirus software incorporates automated cleanup, file sanitation, and WAF to maintain the broader ecosystem’s responsiveness.
- Official IMUNIFY360
Powertech antivirus Software
Here, we’ll discuss the native antivirus for IBM Linux systems, particularly AIX, Linux servers, etc. Powertech Antivirus, made by assist systems, offers reliable protection against malware, threats, and other types of attacks.
To fully utilize it, you’ll need a membership package, but fortunately, customers can test out this security software for a few days during the trial time. For your convenience, this antivirus does an excellent job and keeps itself updated.
- It offers server-level protection against malware, viruses, attacks, etc. and supports a variety of platforms.
- This antivirus shields important files, papers, and transactions from trackers and hackers.
- You can manually scan any local system files and directories, and it automatically scans your internet connection and any online information.
- According to threat conditions, the malware-infected files that were scanned are safely quarantined or deleted.
- In comparison to other market participants, it offers reasonably priced subscription packages.
- Powertech Antivirus uses few system resources.
- Official Powertech Antivirus
Virus Total Security
Our best option for it is Avast Core Security, and we have already reached our conclusion. This Linux antivirus first placed highly in the AV-Test. It works with Ubuntu and other Linux distributions’ 32-bit and 64-bit software architecture.
This Ubuntu antivirus supports file server security, network, and core security. Although it has a trial version, Avast doesn’t provide a free subscription. I can confirm that it works significantly better than other free antivirus software for Linux.
- To protect your system, Avast offers real-time protection and anti-spyware.
- Both planned and on-demand scanning options are available here.
- Additionally, it speeds up the workstations by using less power with multicore support to secure files on the server.
- It is an extremely lightweight antivirus, and its creators frequently update it.
- Easily detect malware and dual-booted systems with our powerful antivirus
Although many different Linux antivirus programs exist, only the best are included in the article. All ten contenders for the title of best Linux antivirus software have been hand-selected after being evaluated by the top cybersecurity and research firm. The blog contains free and paid antivirus software that has been tried and tested against viruses, trojans, and malware. These programs are all feature-rich and ensure total security for your Linux and some non-Linux software systems.