With more than a billion monthly users, Instagram is one of the most popular social networks on the internet. This means that there will be a lot of carefully curated photos and tales to scroll, but it also makes the platform vulnerable to scams. Instagram is a hotbed for cybercrime and fraudulent activity. There have been multiple Instagram hacks this year, and we’ve reported on them all. One is a phishing attack that can get past Gmail’s security measures.
Meanwhile, research shows that spending too much time on social media sites like Instagram might have a negative impact on your mental health. In 2021, Instagram attempted to bury an internal study demonstrating the app’s deleterious impact on young women.
Do you fear your privacy? Are you getting tired of being inconvenienced by flamboyant influencers? Do you wish to decrease your time spent on Instagram and increase productivity? It is time to turn off Instagram or delete the app entirely.
Find specifics on how to deactivate Instagram or permanently delete your account temporarily.
Should You Delete or Deactivate?
Instagram does not want you to leave, so other options exist besides deleting your account. A second option is to deactivate it entirely.
Distinguishing between Instagram’s deactivate and delete buttons.
|DELETE YOUR INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT PERMANENTLY
|DEACTIVATE YOUR INSTAGRAM ACCOUNT TEMPORARILY
|Deleting your Instagram account is irreversible
|If you deactivate your Instagram account, you can reactivate it at any time just by logging in
|When you delete your Instagram account, all your photos, followers, likes, and comments are permanently removed
|Photos, followers, comments, and likes deactivate after account deactivation.
|Delete your account and someone may claim your username.
|If you deactivate Instagram, your account is hidden indefinitely, but no one can take your username.
Instagram Data Download and Storage Protection
Before deactivating or deleting your Instagram account, it is highly recommended that you download a duplicate of anything you’ve posted to the service.
Instagram for iOS and Android: A Guide to Data Export
Download these steps to save your Instagram data and videos to your iOS or Android device:
- To see your profile, click on your image in the right-hand corner.
- You can access the menu by clicking the menu icon in the upper right corner (three horizontal lines).
- To select, click on “Your activity.”
- Go to “Download Your Information” to save your account details to your computer.
- The next step is to click “Request Download.” If the default email address is incorrect, you can enter a new one to receive the information.
- Instagram’s “Download Your Data” settings page
- Enter your password here.
- Select “Request Download” to initiate the download.
Your file could take anywhere from 48 hours to 14 days to receive. Your Instagram information will be sent to you through email. You can download your file by following the instructions provided in the email and click the link provided. Your profile and data about you, photos, comments, and other information are normally included in this file.
Instagram data download instructions for desktop and mobile browsers.
Here’s how to get your data file from Instagram if you’re using a web browser:
- To access your profile, click your image from the upper right corner.
- To adjust preferences, click “Settings” (the small cog icon).
- Select “Security & Privacy.”
- Select “Data Download” in the drop-down menu and “Request Download.”
- If you don’t want to use your login email, enter another one here to receive the download link.
- Pick either HTML or JSON as the file type for your data. The learning curve for HTML is shorter.
- Get out your Instagram password and punch it in.
- Click “Request Download” to start the download process.
Your Instagram data in an email with the subject line “Your Instagram Data” will be sent to you within 48 hours. If you want to download the file, follow the email instructions.
Tips on Deleting Your Instagram Account
You aren’t quite ready to give up Instagram just yet. Deactivating your Instagram account is an option if you feel a short break is all you need.
There is currently no way to deactivate your Instagram account through the mobile app for iOS or Android. If you want to end your relationship with a social media site, you’ll need to do so through a computer or mobile browser.
Deactivate your Instagram account from your computer or mobile device browser by following these steps.
- Launch Instagram in a new browser or window to log the account you wish to deactivate.
- To view your profile, click it from the upper right corner.
- Then select “Profile” > “Edit Profile.”
- Select “Temporarily disable my account” from the drop-down menu.
- Select a reason from the “Why are you disabling your account?” selection menu to select your account. Select a reason before continuing.
- Please retype your account’s password.
- To temporarily deactivate your Instagram account, click the “Temporarily Disable Account.”
- No one can find your account when you change your Instagram privacy settings.
Everything associated with your profile, including your username, photos, likes, follows, and comments, will remain intact.
Note: Your account will be revived the next time you log in. Once per week, you will be able to deactivate your Instagram account temporarily.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Restoring Your Instagram Account
Please access the instructions below if you have accidentally deleted your Instagram account and would like to reactivate it.
- Swipe open Instagram on your computer’s web browser or fire up the app on your mobile device.
- Enter your Instagram credentials on the main screen.
- Click the “Login” button to access your account again.
If you deactivate your account and immediately change your mind, it may take 24 hours before you can reactivate it. Instagram’s deactivation process usually takes several hours. Your account will reactivate deactivated until this is done.
Instagram Security Tips
Instagram users concerned about their safety may want to reconsider keeping their account active by learning about the various privacy settings available.
An encrypted VPN service, such as NordVPN, can protect your online activity by masking your IP address and encrypting your data in transit.
See our article on the subject to learn how to better protect your Instagram account. The most common Instagram frauds are detailed in our article. See our advice for keeping your kids safe on Instagram if you’re a parent.
The Step-by-Step Guide to Delete Your Instagram Account
You can only permanently remove your Instagram account from a computer with access to a web browser. Instagram users on iOS and Android devices may be disappointed that the app does not delete account deletion.
- Read on to learn how to completely delete your Instagram account.
- To log Instagram, sign in with your browser. To permanently delete an Instagram account, you must first be logged into that account.
- Select “Delete Your Account” from the menu. There is no menu option for quick access to this page, thus a direct link is required.
- When prompted with the reason “Why do you want to delete [account name]?” select the appropriate option from the dropdown menu to explain your decision to permanently delete your Instagram account. Depending on your choice, you may be requested to provide additional details.
- You should re-enter your Instagram account password when you’re finished.
- To completely delete your account, click the corresponding checkbox.
Your content, including photos, likes, follows, and comments, will be removed from the service immediately. A notification saying “Your account has been deactivated” should appear on your screen.
We’ll miss having you around!
Your Instagram account has been effectively terminated at this time. Instagram warns that their servers could take three months to delete all your account data. For legal reasons, Instagram may keep some information on its servers after the 90 days, as noted in its Data Policy.
Instagram is entertaining, but it also has the ability to compromise your privacy and perhaps your sanity. While there may be some disagreement on the right frequency of social media use, everyone can agree that a break is welcome from time to time.
It’s acceptable to temporarily deactivate or delete your Instagram account. You can return to Instagram and the rest of your social media whenever you’re ready.